Saturday, July 5, 2008

紅雙喜 Double Happiness

Address: 中環士丹頓街48號地下
Telephone : 2549 1862

It's a small Chinese Shanghai cafe. This place was very special, it decorated with all the Double Happiness matchboxes and pingpong balls. After a while, I finally realized the theme of the restaurant is double happiness. Even the washroom is full of double happiness related products!!!!

This restaurant offers Shanghai dumplings and some western food like chocolate warm cake and white wine. Is it a fusion restaurant? Well, I am not sure, decide it yourself when you eat there.

I ordered:


  • dumplings;

  • pork ribs;

  • dan dan noodles;

  • shrimp in wine; and

  • the daily soup tonight (all the food is MSG free!).
I believed the dumplings were the best among all the dishes. The filling was mixed equally with vegetable and pork; I didn't like those with 90% pork and 10% vegetable. The dumplings were juicy and crispy with such a well balanced stuffing.

According to the waitress, the pork ribs is their signature dish, it tasted a little bit too sweet. Other than that, the meat was tender and marinated at a pretty good level.

The dan dan noodles are worth to try. The texture of the noodles is chewy and the soup isn't thick like other generic dan dan noodles. I can finish one bowl myself!! This is the best dan dan noodles I have even had. The noodles doesn't get soaky after putting it aside for a while.

The shrimp in wine and the daily soup were fair. There is no surprise about them. You don’t really have to order the shrimp if you are not a shrimp lover.

We didn’t order any dessert as we went to a dessert bar (Sift, please refer to my review on it) afterwards.

The service was pretty good; the waitress paid attention to us and changed the dishes for us when we needed. They were very polite with smile on their face.

It’s time for the bill. The price was reasonable, it’s around HKD$280 for 4 dishes and 1 soup (enough for 2 persons).

Will I go there again??

YES, definitely will.

1 comment:

Jola said...

Just an update, I went to double happiness 2 months ago and I made up my mind not to go again!!!

The quality of the food went down!!
The XO sauce fried rice with egg white was crap. I complained to the store manager that the flavor of XO sauce isn't enough, she suggested to give me more XO sauce on the side!!! (ummm... what's the point of having a dish of fried rice then?) Besides, they add veggie in it, the fried rice was soooo soaky........ )

I ended up leaving 80% of it on the dish.!!!!


For the same amount of price, I can get some better Chinese food.

I WON'T be back.