Sunday, September 11, 2011

Safari West in Santa Rosa, California

I found Safari West while I was searching on tripadvisor.com. So I decide to stay here for a night while I am traveling in the States.

I have just done the safari tour and dinner at the Savannah Cafe here. I list out the things I like and don't like:
The good parts are:
- the tent (room) is big, unique and comfortable
- everything is vey clean here, just like the photos on the website
- the staff at the check-in office and tour guide are friendly
- the safari tour is interesting
- the steak and chicken for dinner are good (not the dessert)
- lucky enough that a giraffe came over during the safari tour
- had a chance to pet a 3-month antelope while it was having a walk
- see different animals in relatively close proximity

The parts I don't like are:
- finished the tour at 645p, food is taken away while we are still eating (feel like they are rushing to clean up)
- well, I wouldn't say that the tour is bad, if I know this is the type of safari I would experience, I would definitely do a tour here only, not staying overnight as it's expensive - $250 for a night.
- I would say that it's a "zoofari". It's something in between. Basically, you stay overnight in a gigantic zoo.
(eg) A chance to walk in the birds cage and get closer.

So, I strongly recommend you to do a day trip here only as you can get a nice hotel in San Francisco with $250.
*the comments here are globally relative, with the money I spend here $444, $250 (tent)+$68*2 (tour)+$29*2(dinner), we can fly to Kuala Lumpur for a days.

I will probably come back again only if i have kids as it's a safe way to encounter animals.

Besides, you can also visit Charles M. Schulz (who drew Snoopy) Museum and Research Center, www.schulzmuseum.org , it's cool. Only 5-10 mins drive away from Safari West. I spent 1.5 hours there looking around and taking photos. The admission fee is $10.

No comments: