Monday, December 5, 2011

Vienna - Cafe Diglas, Austria

Cafe is very famous in Vienna, so I randomly picked this cafe on goggle map and found out at the end that this is a famous cafe in the area.  It's located in the city center which is very close to most of the tourist destinations.

I had also been to another popular one called Cafe Central (located in old part of Vienna, close to high-ended shopping area), I think Cafe Diglas is better in terms of quality and price while Cafe Central is too touristy.  Therefore, I visited Cafe Diglas again before I left Vienna.
Highly RECOMMEND you to visit !!

DIRECTION TO THE CAFE DIGLAS
Take the underground U3 line to the station "Stephansplatz", it only takes you less than 5 mins walk there.

WHAT HAVE I ORDERED?
1/ Cappuccino - the flavour is really good and the foamy milk is really tasty
2/ Double Mokka - this is double expresso in Vienna, I generally don't drink expresso because of its bitter and strong smell.  This one is very good.
3/ Large Cafe Diglas Breakfast - ham + cheese + scamble egg, the ham isn't very strong so I guess most people can eat it.  Scamble egg is the highlight.
4/ Apple Cake - an Austrian cake, there are 3 layers but I can't really tell what they are.  Recommend to share with 2-3 friends as it's a bit too much for me after eating 1 slice.
The above 4 items cost Euro $25 (including tips)

5/ White Coffee - nothing special, not recommended
6/ Hot Chocolate - if you are looking for high quality chocolate drinks, this is not the one.  I like the rich foamy milk the most, other than that, it's only a normal hot chocolate
7/Cheese Cake - the texture is very special - "fluffy" (very easy to break into tiny little pieces), similar to Japanese style.  The cheese flavor isn't very strong, definitely not New York type. Coating is pastry-like, but not crispy at all.  It's nothing similar to any American nor French style pastries. 
8/ Chocolate Ball - very sweet (benchmarking Asians' preference), I can only have 2 bites.  Look at the photos and see if you could sense how sweet it is.
These 4 dishes cost €18 (including tips)

Recommend you to bring a book to cafe Diglas to enjoy one afternoon there with a piece of cake and  cup of coffee, I wish I could do that but I only had 2 days in Vienna. 

For your information, I have another review written about the unique washroom door at Cafe Diglas.

ANOTHER CAFE
Cafe Sacher located in city center, is popular for sachertorte (a chocolate cake was originally made in Vienna and Salzburg), I didnt have a chance to try it CA there is a long queue.  Comments from friends of mine saying that it's a nice chocolate but it's not worth to line up for half an hour for it. 

1 comment:

The PM said...

This place is also a great place to take a dump in front of everyone.