Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Florence - Premium Outelts, Italty

Florence is a small but an interesting city - they have all their own traditional food here and some of them can only be found in Florence.  Other than all common tourist destinations (which I don't think they are worth me talking about them here), I will share my food and outlet tour here with you.

HOW TO GET TO FLORENCE FROM VENICE?
I came here by train from Venice which is very convenient, buying tickets in advance is unnecessary, check the train schedule first (either online or at the train station) and just buy tickets before you hop into a train.  It takes 1.5 -3.5 hours depends on the type of tickets you buy (from €17.5 - 55).

HOW MANY DAYS TO STAY IN FLORENCE?
I stayed here for 4 nights as I had planned to spend 1 full day in outlets (if you have limited budget, I guess you can still do 3 nights on a really tight schedule).

OUTLETS IN FLORENCE
There are about 3-4 outlets in Florence, but I picked 2 to visit only as it had already taken me 1 full to do them.

1/ Space - Prada and Miu Miu Outlet
- highly recommend you to visit this one first if you have limited time
- it's a really big outlet full of men's and women's suits, shoes, bags, all leather goods
- it's way bigger than the one in HK
- the discount is pretty deep, 30-50% which depends on the products you buy (eg) a prada wallet is usually Euro $195
- remember to ask the staff there for the actual price !!! The price on the tag might not be final, usually it's cheaper because of defeats which I could barely see
- I bought a Miu Miu handbag for Euro $349 with 14% tax refund (price on the tag is $449, so don't forget to ask for the final price).  Just out of curisity, I checked the price of the handbag I bought at a Miu Miu store in Florence city center, it's Euro $995 for the same size, same shape but just different color
>>How do you go to Space?
- Take the train from Florence’s Santa Maria Novella Station to Montevarchi (30 mins to 1 hour, depends on what train you take, Euro $3.3 - 4.8/way), then continue by taxi (about 10-15 minutes) to the outlet.
- Once you get out of the station, Montevarchi, there is a taxi stand there.  Just tell the taxi driver you want to go to the Prada outlet, they know how to get there.  /
- 1- way (either station to outlet / outlet back to station costs Euro $12, it's printed on a card so it's pretty easy to deal with)
- you can also ask people whom hanging around the station / taxi stand to share a taxi with you, I invited 2 Korean girls to share a taxi with me, so it's only $3/person.
- Remember to ask the taxi driver to pick you up after, say like 2 hours or 3 (I spent 2.5 hours there) or get his phone number so you can call him to drive you back to the station as it's not easy to catch a taxi at the outlet. 
- take a number ticket before you go in the outlet (just right outside the door), the staff will keep the products you want and mark the number on your ticket down. 

2/ The Mall, locals also called Gucci Outlet
- It's a premium outlets that you can find different premium brands there (eg) Gucci, YSL, Burberry, Dior Prada
- Yes, there is also a Prada outlet there but it's waaaaay smaller than Space.
- I personally think the brands in this outlet aren't as affordable as Prada outlets, for example, I wouldn't buy a clothe at Alexander McQueen or Valentino.  The products at Gucci are very outdated, most of the products there are about 5-7 years ago and the disscount isn't very ideal.
- Burberry is quite good, you can buy their signature scarfs and jackets there.
- 1 store that is worth to visit is Ferregamo, the shoes there are about 30-50% off. 
- The outlet is relative small compares to those in US.  You don't see GAP or some other affordable brands there.
- Walk down to the other side of the road, you will find a diseal store there ( I didn't have time to visit, so not sure if it's an outlet or not)
- I buy a prada leather bag (not this season but a generic one) for $449 which is still a pretty good deal.

HOW TO GO TO THE MALL?
Method 1: By Train, suggest you to take train if you are going to The Mall from Prada Outlet
- Take the train from Florence’s Santa Maria Novella Station to Rignano sull’Arno (take about 30 mins to 1 hour, depends on what type of train you take)
- Then continue by taxi (about five minutes) to Leccio.
- Taxi to Leccio is a bit complicated (at least or me), as I didn't see any taxi stands nearby the station.
- There is a corner store-like shop right at the exit of the station, grab a private shuttle bus business card inside - Miriam, call them.  (about €5/person for 1-way).  I guess this private shuttle bus may also pick up people regularly at the train station, if you are lucky enough, may run into them without calling.

Method 2: By Bus, suggest you to take bus if you are going to The Mall directly from Florence city center
- Take bus SITA, the bus stop is very close to Santa Maria Novella Station
- This bus take you directly to The Mall, €10/person for one-way,  so no taxi is needed and is more convenient (I took this bus back to Florence when I left The Mall)
- Take about 1 hour to go back to Florence

HAPPY SHOPPING !!!
Follow me with the food tour I had in Florence, they are all recommended by locals.

No comments: