Monday, December 5, 2011

Wombat Hostel "The Lounge", Vienna, Austria

It's a good idea to stay at hostels while travelling around Europe, it's cheaper than hotels and the staff is friendly (I personally don't rate staying in hotels in Europe as it's more expensive but the services are still bad). 

Just to let give you a bit information, I travel quit a bit and stay in different hotels and hostels, so the comments are globally relative.

WOMBAT HOSTEL "THE LOUNGE"
This time I stayed at a hostel called Wombat Hostel "The Lounge" (there are 2 more Wombat Hostels in Vienna) for 2 nights.

The location isn't at the very central (the ring) but it's close to U-Bahn (some of you may called underground/train) so you can just catch a train easily to cetral within 15 mins.

8-bed Dorm
I got mistakenly assigned to a 8-bed dorm on the 1st night (Euro $13/person) instead of 6-bed dorm (Euro $20/person).  I personally don't really care wheather it's a 6/8 dorm, so we got more welcome drinks because of this accident.

Things I like about 8-bed dorm:
- very clean & spacious
- the quality of mattress is good
- one locker/person, it's pretty safe

Things I don't like about this 8-bed dorm:
- roommates sleep a bit early, at 1030pm on Friday night (common problem)
-have to make the bed myself (generally I don't mind, but I have to make it very quietly at night with only light from mobile phone as other roommates were sleeping)

Private Room
Then I moved to a 2-bed private room (Euro $58/room) in the next day (I intended to stay at a private room initially, however, they are fully booked, so I stayed in a dorm on the first night)

Thing I like about this private room:
- pretty big and very clean
- washroom is big enough as to compare with other hotels (eg. St Christopher's Hostel in Bruges)
- don't have to share washroom with strangers
- don't have to make my own bed

Things I don't like in this private room:
- no TV (but it's very common in most of the hostels)

Other
- There is a bar in the basement where you can redeem free welcome drinks, foosball and pool tables are also down in the basement. 
- Laundary is located right next to the bar, Euro $2 for washing and Euro $2.5 for drying, including detergent.
- wifi is only available on the 1st floor where the receipt is, I know it's a bit lame that no wifi is available in the room. 

I am happy to stay at Wombat Hostel again next time.

Additional Information
U-Bahn
- Easy to understand and travel around
- Euro $1.8 for a single trip, Euro $5.6 for a 24-hour pass

No comments: